TELUS High Speed Rural Internet with Smart Hub in Ontario PLEASE!!

Just Moved In

Please make these plans that are currently available in BC and AB, also available in ON.

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/smart-hub?linktype=ge-meganav

There are millions of rural Ontario households that have no reasonable options for home high speed internet.  I would gladly pay $150/month for the 1TB plan here in Ontario.  I am already using the exact same ZTE hub with Rogers, and am paying that much for only 100GB of data, that equates to 3.3GB a day...with 3 kids....good luck!

As for supporting infrastructure, I can see the local tower from my house that has Bell, Rogers, and Telus attennas on it.  I assume the backbone fibre feeding that tower can easily handle adding these hubs, as Rogers is already doing it, but with horrible data cap limits....technically Telus is already doing it as well with the mobile internet plans in Ontario, but with an even worse 10GB data cap....give me a break.

Comments
Community Power User
Community Power User

You're in Bell's territory. Telus doesn't have any cell towers in Ontario outside of the GTA. There are tower sharing agreements in place where Telus cell service will piggyback over Bell's network outside of the GTA in Ontario but that's it. Rogers typically has their own separate towers and it's extremely uncommon to see both Rogers and Bell on the same tower.

If Bell has infrastructure where you live, they do offer Wireless Home Internet service with similar plans, if the towers in your area have the bandwidth capacity to support it. I doubt Bell will allow other carriers to re-sell their smart hub service in Ontario.

Just Moved In

So if the Bell tower in the area can already handle the data throughput these types of plans offer, and Telus is leasing/piggy backing off that same tower, why can't they offer these plans again?

Community Power User
Community Power User

The tower sharing is usually limited to cellular phone service specifically, not Smart Hub services. It simply comes down to it being a Bell tower using Bell's infrastructure.

Telus primarily focuses on Western Canada because that's where their infrastructure is and that's where they offer the Smart Hub service. Bell doesn't offer Smart Hub service in Alberta or BC just like Telus doesn't offer it where Bell has their infrastructure. Bell will be the only available alternative to Rogers where you live for Smart Hub service. 

Just Moved In

“Telus doesn't have any cell towers in Ontario outside of the GTA.”

I live in the GTA and don’t have good internet options. Any chance I could get a smart hub?

Community Power User
Community Power User

They're not offered in urban areas. Plus as I mentioned earlier, Telus does not offer Smart Hubs outside of Alberta and BC. Ontario is outside of Alberta and BC.

Just Moved In

Be careful what you wish for. The Smart Hub plan is not great.  we live just outside of Calgary and rarely get speeds above 9MBPS.  They have told me that do throttle us to give priority on the tower to cell phone users.  we have routinely seen speeds less than 3MBPS.  It is very frustrating as we live 1 km from a major city and; this is our only internet option.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Vermie22 Thanks for your idea submission. Like yourself, many of our customers and even TELUS team members want to see more of our services, such as high speed rural internet, in the East. Thus, it is an opportunity that we evalutate on a consistent basis. As it is an ongoing initative, we won't be tracking this idea. We'll pass along your sentiment and support for our services in your region. Thanks! 

Status changed to: Closed