Sports Channels - Add MLB Network

SportsGuy
Organizer

The rights to Major League Baseball Playoffs seem to be shared between Sportsnet and the MLB Network.  MLB Network is now available in Canada, but is seemingly only available on Rogers Cable systems in eastern Canada.  There are no options available to baseball fans and Telus customers in western Canada who want to watch these playoff games.  

It would be like NHL Network having the rights to part of the hockey playoffs, but no one carried the channel, so the game couldn't be viewed.  

Please add MLB Network as soon as possible, before anymore playoff games are missed!  

Category:
  • TV Content
Comments
mark19771
Just Moved In

I would like to see the MLB Network in SD and HD be added to the Optik lineup. I agree that the Blue Jays last year has made baseball more interesting this year.

I don't want to see it bundled with MLB Extra Innings. That would not be fair. It should be like the NFL Network.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: New Idea
Community Manager
Community Manager

@SportsGuy We revisiting this idea with our product team for further review. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ODAWG27 Thanks for sharing!
There is an existing idea to add the MLB network, here

Community Manager
Community Manager

@CalgaryJaysFan  We hear you! There is an existing idea to add the MLB network, here

Community Manager
Community Manager

@mark19771 Thanks for sharing!
There is an existing idea to add the
MLB network, here

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Handelb This is on our radar. Thanks for sharing your idea!
There is an existing idea to add theMLBnetwork, here

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ODAWG27 Thanks for sharing your idea!

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ODAWG27 Thanks for sharing your idea!

SportsGuy
Organizer

It's been 18 months since I posted this, and MLB Network is literally everywhere else but Telus Optik TV.  What's the deal, @RhoLee?  Why is this taking so long to get added?

jasonmaksimow
Connector

I agree with SportsGuy.    Frustrating to see that other cable systems offer this but not Telus.   I've been very happy with Telus Optik in all regards except for this.   As a huge baseball fan it is really making me consider changing providers when my agreement is up.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@SportsGuy I don't know the reason for this specific channel, but it can be a number or reasons starting with the network and licensing. It is definitely something we are reviewing, and it's great that you are all very passionate about the channel. 

SportsGuy
Organizer

@RhoLee Thanks for your candid reply.  I always appreciate it when people tell me the truth about what they know or don't know, or what they can or can't say.  

Oddly enough, I got a phone call from Telus trying to upsell me on my TV package.  The fellow asked me, "Are there any channels you'd like to watch that you aren't getting in your package?"  Of course, I replied, "Yes, I don't get MLB Network, and I want MLB Network and would pay for it, but you don't offer MLB Network for some unknown-to-me reason."  He then went on to tell me that they offered the NBA Network, but eventually figured out that wasn't what I was asking for.  That was all sort of comical, but he did point out that Telus Satellite (i.e. Bell ExpressVu rebadged) has MLB Network.  I told him that changing from Optik to a Dish for one channel was ridiculous, to which he agreed.  

Anyway, pass on to your higher-ups that they need to add MLBN to the OptikTV package!  If you can figure out how to get WWE Network on OptikTV, you can certainly get MLBN!

Thanks for listening! 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

We're definitely excited to hear about your passion for MLB baseball content and would like to look into this further for you. To help us understand what you value most about the MLB Network, what would you be looking forward to most about this particular channel?

As it stands, our current offering, MLB Extra Innings, offers 11 HD channels and up to 1400 games. I understand the MLB network offers up to 150 games and original content. 

We'd love to bring this idea back to our content delivery team for analysis along with some verbatims on what our customers are looking for that Extra Innings doesn't offer.

Thanks!

Chrisjohnson83
Resident

I get the games off MLB.tv which is based on the Internet which is similar to extra innings. I am interested in MLB network for the original content such as documentaries, intentional talk, MLB today, any of their breakdown shows of the game. I want the channel as its dedicated to baseball content 24/7. I enjoy sportsnet channels & tsn but I don't care to much for the other sports they talk about on sports desk etc. 

Chrisjohnson83
Resident

@dru I get the games off MLB.tv which is based on the Internet which is similar to extra innings. I am interested in MLB network for the original content such as documentaries, intentional talk, MLB today, any of their breakdown shows of the game. Also like the classic games they show to. I want the channel as its dedicated to baseball content 24/7. I enjoy sportsnet channels & tsn but I don't care to much for the other sports they talk about on sports desk etc. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Chrisjohnson83 Thanks for the quick feedback Smiley Happy

It is exactly the type of verbatim we're looking for so I hope everyone keeps 'em coming! 

SportsGuy
Organizer

@dru Thanks for the opportunity.  Why MLB Network?  First, look at the differences between MLB Extra Innings and MLB Network.  MLB Extra Innings is an out-of-market television package that gives fans the opportunity to watch games that aren't available in their local market.  MLB.tv offers the same functionality and for most fans (i.e. anyone with an Internet connection), MLB.tv's benefits far outweigh the drawbacks (maybe not 100% HD all the time, but this is hardly an issue anymore).  If Telus wants the business, you should offer MLB Extra Innings that comes free with MLB.tv as they do in the United States: InDemand MLB Extra Innings.  I would subscribe to Extra Innings through Telus if MLB.tv came free with a subscription.

MLB Network, on the other hand, offers extensive original baseball programming.  They broadcast the World Baseball Classic, and minor league baseball all-star games, games not otherwise available.  They also have extensive year-round, live, original programming.  MLB Tonight is their evening show.  Intentional Talk is a wide-ranging sportstalk show that focuses on baseball and pop culture.  They also have done quite a number of original documentaries.  There are also an amount of live games broadcast throughout the season. In 2014, there were MLB playoff games exclusively on MLB Network that I couldn't watch anywhere else (the reason I started this thread in the first place)!

You should also add MLB Strike Zone - it's like the NFL Network Red Zone channel, which you already have, but for baseball.  It's available in many US areas, but it's not yet offered in Canada.  You should consider this as well!  Here is their website: MLB Network Strike Zone.

So in short, you need to ensure MLB Extra Innings comes free with MLB.tv, you need to add MLB Network, and you need to add MLB Network Strike Zone.  BC is huge baseball country - we have a major fan base, and have had many players get drafted and turn professional.  Some have gone to the majors as well, and many started in the BC Premier Baseball League and from the UBC Baseball program.  As a western Canadian company, I think this is a huge opportunity for you to do some targeted community outreach!

Thanks for your interest.  I look forward to hearing about your next steps!

Let me know if you need more information

jasonmaksimow
Connector

I agree 100% with what SportsGuy said and echo his sentiments.   To have access to the rich array of original programming that MLB network has to offer would be amazing.   Whenever I travel to the US or visit family in Winnipeg who have access to the network through MTS.TV I am simply amazed.   Basically the equivalent of the NFL Network but completely focused on Baseball.

Lets make this happen!

Community Manager
Community Manager

This is great feedback! Thank you. Please keep 'em coming! Smiley Happy