Sports Channels - Add MLB Network

SportsGuy
Connector

The rights to Major League Baseball Playoffs seem to be shared between Sportsnet and the MLB Network.  MLB Network is now available in Canada, but is seemingly only available on Rogers Cable systems in eastern Canada.  There are no options available to baseball fans and Telus customers in western Canada who want to watch these playoff games.  

It would be like NHL Network having the rights to part of the hockey playoffs, but no one carried the channel, so the game couldn't be viewed.  

Please add MLB Network as soon as possible, before anymore playoff games are missed!  

Category:
Comments
SportsGuy
Connector

Hey Telus!

Here we are again, it's 2017 and still no MLB Network!  I see you are promoting the MLB Extra Innings Package, which looks like it has shown up on a free preview on my subscribed channels.  If you had the same deal they have in the United States, where a user could buy Extra Innings for their cable package and get MLB.tv for free, you would have had me as a customer!  Instead, you get none of that revenue.

I'm baffled that we have so many crap channels, but MLB Network doesn't get any attention, or even any responses anymore from this thread.  Bell, MTS, Videotron, have all figure this out.  What's your excuse?

ODAWG27
Connector

Cmon Telus!!! What are we waiting for! Just get the channel b/c when I can I wil be switching providers...

ODAWG27
Connector

Anything?!?!?!?....never get an answer on this thing, it's frustrating...

jasonmaksimow
Connector

I agree.  Is anyone from Telus reading this?   Has there been any discussion?   Have our concerns been passed on to the relevant people?

jasonmaksimow
Connector

Adding this channel is a real no-brainer, especially considering we have sport-specific channels for sports that are much less popular.

I mean Telus has recently added the IPL Cricket, and we STILL can't get MLB Network Canada??!  C'mon!

ThisGuyDoesntCare
Advocate

And yet here we are with another year gone by and no word or progress by Telus. It's baseball playoff time, and some games are exclusively available on the MLB Network. It's time that Telus adds this channel to their lineup. I mean you already offer the MLB extra innings package from channels 1301 to 1311. Would it be too hard to just add MLB Network to channel 1300? I've been waiting for this channel for over 3 years since it has become available to the Canadian market, and most of the other providers in Canada offer it.

Again, if you are a Telus subscriber, there is no way to see today's game between the Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox at all, which is ridiculous. I would even be willing to pay the extra cost to get this channel.

SportsGuy
Connector

Again, more Telus stupidity. Three years later, playoffs again, and still no MLB Network! We are missing playoff games because Telus won’t add the channel! What is the matter with you guys?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Not sure why you would assume it’s Telus, when good old Rogers dangles the proverbial carrot. Rogers has a history of not playing nice with Telus.

The latest was Sportsnet 4K which the CRTC stepped in.

ThisGuyDoesntCare
Advocate

Bell has this channel, Eastlink has this channel, heck even SaskTel carries this channel. Telus has every opportunity to carry it if they choose to. Besides, we are Telus customers and thus have a right to ask for what we want as customers. They will lose me as a customer if this channel isn't here in time for the beggining of the 2018 season. I have no contract for my service, and those Kodi boxes do carry MLB network. So I either give Telus my money or go full fledged cord cutting and use Android boxes without remorse. I would encourage all other baseball fans to do the same if this continues.

cjp
Just Moved In

It is unacceptable that baseball playoff games continue to not be shown in Calgary due to the MLB Network not being offered through Telus. Telus, please add this channel to your lineup.  There is obviously a lot of interest.

dustyn
Resident

BUSH LEAGUE! Thanks for nothing Telus!!

ODAWG27
Connector

Come on Telus! Why is it that Bell & MTS can get MLB Network and we've been waiting for at least FOUR Years (and counting) and literally nothing has changed. It's getting unacceptable to this point...

ThisGuyDoesntCare
Advocate
I'm just going to drop telus tv before the new season. Subscribed to mlb.tv and found mlb network on kodi.you have about a month to sway me otherwise telus.
jasonmaksimow
Connector

So is this because of an issue between Rogers and Telus?   Which once again leaves the customer in the lurch - not able to access a product or channel that we have been begging for for since 2014!!

Could we at least get word from someone at Telus acknowledging that they even read these threads?

ODAWG27
Connector

Well this Telus idea neighbourhood thing is obviously useless...no acknowledgement that this is being seriously looked at...I'm done even caring anymore at this point...

ThisGuyDoesntCare
Advocate

I have followed my promise, and today called and canceled my Telus TV service. Retentions offered me 50% off for 3 months...and I laughed. It's not about the price for me, more to do with selection offered, or not offered in Telus' case. I am using a Kodi box for MLB Network, and subscribed to SporstNet Now for my sports viewing. I will happily admit I am breaking the law with Kodi streaming, and I openly encourage that option. That combined with Netflix gave me all the TV I need. Bye Telus...you had 5 seasons to get this and save me as a customer. You ignored us all, all in an attempt to try to stick it to Rogers.

mbp
Coach

@ThisGuyDoesntCare It's cute how you think Rogers controls the MLB Network. It's an American channel and MLB is more restrictive than the NHL is. Rogers was just the first to get a license to broadcast it in Canada through the CRTC, in Ontario specifically. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_Network#Canadian_carriage

MLB Network is also on the CRTC's list of authorized non-Canadian programming services and stations. If there was sufficient demand (and it doesn't sound like there was), that hurdle was already passed. Only limitation is that MLB is only broadcasting in 720p.

ODAWG27
Connector

So.....anything new on this Telus???? 

ODAWG27
Connector

How is it that Telus still doesn't have MLB Network?? I mean come....on....