Spanish language television on Optik TV

moalta
Resident

After English and French, Spanish is the most used language in Canada. TLN is offered by Optik TV, with very little Spanish. For TLN, latin programming includes two hours of back to back repeats of I LOVE LUCY but almost no Spanish! Univision Canada, 24 hours in Spanish, is now available and evidently available on Telus satellite service but not Optik TV. It is offered by Telus' competitors such as Rogers and Shaw. I have friends who like my Optik TV but use other services to obtain Univision (previously TLN en Espanol). Telus has a great line up of multicultural channels in various languages but not in Spanish. A good idea would be to correct this discrepancy in service and let me and thousands of others enjoy Spanish language programing.

Category:
Comments
ShadiS
Advisor

Status changed to: Under Review
ShadiS
Advisor

Hi @moalta ,

Thanks for sharing your idea with us. We are reviewing it and will get back to you when we have updates.

Please keep the great ideas coming!

Take care,

Shadi

edcarpo
Just Moved In

I totally agree with @moalta We are looking forward to have more Soanish spoken TV channels available, specially Univision. My wife is almost asking me to change from Telus because Shaw has it!

I wonder if Telus already has it available for Optik TV users

Thanks

Eduardo

davster3
Just Moved In

I too would love to have spanish language tv. Wonderful if it were Univision, but i'M sure there are lots of options for Telus. Telemundo is another major network in the US with 100 percent Spanish.

Please !!! give us some spanish language tv. We seem to have many other languages yet Spanish is the second most widely spoken second language in the world, yet we have none on our TV.

thanks

David A.

neliana1
Just Moved In

I just subscribed to telus, I am looking for Spanish channels = cero, dissapointed since Spanish is one of the languages we speak at home, I see you have Chinesse, Filipino, South Asian and none Spanish,I  would like to see at least one, thanks

Neliana L

Gringo
Just Moved In

Am wanting to leave Shaw now for months but unfortunatley Telus cannot get their act together and get at least one 100% spanish channel.  I'm not quite sure the language percentage of this city but really, I know and have met numerous more people that speak Spanish over Polish?  So unless Telus is content with limiting potential clients one would think this a no brainer, shaws had it for years. Unfortunatley its not just tv subscriptions that fail as metioned before I refuse to switch form shaw my entire package due to this issue.  So that in mind is one channel worth the loss of such potential

Moykenobi
Connector

I'm totally on board with this idea!

The fact that Telus does not offer any 100% spanish channel is so frustrating, even more when you take into consideration the fact that in Canada there is roughly the same amount of spanish speakers than punjabi speakers, and shortage of punjabi speaking channels is not a problem on Optik TV.

Why can we not get at least one channel with 100% spanish programming?

ambert
Connector

Status changed to: Under Review
ambert
Connector

Status changed to: In progress
ambert
Connector

Hello  @moalta 

Thank you for very awesome feedback on Spanish programming. We are listening to our customers and know there is a lot of love for this content on Optik TV. Our content team is hard at work to find a great Spanish-language offering. You should be hearing more about this in 2015. We will definitely keep everyone posted once we know more. 

In the meantime, keep submitting Ideas for how we can improve Optik TV!

moalta
Resident

I find it incredile that Telus is now talking about "something" in 2015 when all of the other major providers of television programming (Shaw, Bell, Rogers, SaskTel, etc) are offering Univision Canada (100% Spanish) now! Telus satellite service has an arrangement with Bell for satellite services so Univision Canada is available via Telus satellite but not for Optik TV. But Telus says wait until next year ... and for what remains to be seen.  I am calling Shaw next week to get a price quotation to change because I have already waited too long.  If no results and no explanation, why should I stay with Telus? The present is not friendly with Telus on this important issue.  As others have said, there are many languages available on Optik TV but the third most used language in Canada, español, is not.  And don't talk to me about TLN - 2 hours daily of I LOVE LUCY presented as latino programming!  A half hour delayed broadcast of Spanish newscast (from Univision!) but at 3:30 in the morning. Basta!  (If Telus does not know this word it is an indication as to why they are so insensitive to the interests of so many Canadians who use español.)

electro_cute
Just Moved In

I couldn't agree more. It is astounding that Optik TV doesn't offer Telemundo, Univision, Televisa, TV Azteca, etc. There are a lot of Spanish speakers in this country. I shouldn't feel like I have to switch providers in order to get the channel line up I need. Every time I cross the border to Bellingham I am jealous of all the Spanish TV programming playing in Mexican restaurants I frequent. If Bellingham has it 1 hour away it can't be that hard for us to get the same here! Come on, please release this already. It helps us Spanish speaking immigrants to feel more connected to our roots by being in the loop as to what's happening in our countries of origin. 

abc123
Connector
Bring Univision Canada to Optik TV!!
abc123
Connector
bertohernandez_
Just Moved In

Hey Telus.

Univision, Telemundo, TV Azteca, Televisa. 

As Electro_Cute pointed out, these channels are available to cities that are less than 2hrs away. 

Get. On. It.

Make. It. Happen. 

German
Just Moved In

Please we need more spanish channels ..! also we should have the choice of Bein Sport on Spanish not just english..!! Thank you

moalta
Resident

The lack of action by Telus to provide Spanish language programming - in contrast to many other languages which ARE available - is intolerable and discriminatory. Shaw and Bell have long provided such programming. SPANISH is the third most used language in Canada. CANCEL YOUR TELUS SERVICE.

ichv
Just Moved In

Ambert/ShadiS, did anything happened to adding Univision Canada to Optik TV? It was available on Telus Satellite 

Acdc7788
Resident

Any updates on Spanish channels being added to optik???

brunod14
Just Moved In

Also, please add other spanish channels such as Telefe, TV Chile, RCN, Caracol, El trece Argentina, TyC Sports, etc.