cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blckgold
Just Moved In
It's not only Telus, but I guess Telus gets my frustration because they are who I am currently with.

I've been living in Canada for the last 3 years, and the one thing that I have never ever gotten over, is the price that Canadian phone companies charge for Data. I was so spoilt in the Uk, getting Data over there is like getting water, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This is just an example https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariff/apple/iphone-7-plus/?productId=85492bd7-db60-4577-8e4d-4999ded55b5a...

50gb data for what would be the equivalent of about 150 dollars roughly, that's including the call package, and other features.

That is just a single example but have a look at data prices around the world, and compare to Canada, it's so unfair.

It's such a hard pill to swallow when I'm told that I have to pay $25 dollars for 1GB of data. What the hell can anyone do with 1gb. And not so much that, but why so expensive.

The thing is im sure it's super easy to complain and rant and express by disgust at the seemingly unfair pricing. But what I really want to know is, if the pricing for data can't be adjusted to fit more in line with the fairness of many places around then world. Then at least give us some transparency as to why.

'Our data prices are high, because we have a slower infrastructure on our signal strength which means higher costs for... blah blah blah' I know that made no sense, but you see my point.

If you can't adjust pricing to make it more reasonable then at least a good explanation for this astronomical daylight robbery, could make it easier to digest. I don't understand how small companies like mobilicity, and wind can offer great data packages and Telus cannot. awful

Rant over....
18 Comments
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Here's another comparison: Canada is 40 times the size of the U.K. with about half the population, and a far lower population density, even on the most concentrated population centres. Also, Telus offers LTE data, rather than the 3G sold by O2. Would I like lower data prices? You bet! But let's compare apples.
Blckgold
Just Moved In

The point here is that the phone packages are ridiculously expensive. Maybe even compare the big threes prices to other competitors within Canada, and it still stands out as astronomical. 

Timmyc333
Just Moved In
I've been with Telus for well over ten years, and I must say if you didn't have a coverage monopoly that would've changed a long, long time ago. Lately though, I just can't grasp why we can't have better data plans. The US has unlimited data plans for $50 and we can't get them at all? Really? Now your excuse might be that Canada is just not densely populated enough. Well unfortunately for you, Saskatchewan manages to have unlimited data plans, and you can't possibly tell me they're more densely populated than Alberta. It's garbage, absolute garbage. The part that frustrates me the most is that this will never change, because you make too much money doing it this way. If we were to get unlimited data plans, they would be outrageously priced. So my idea is to give your loyal customers a real unlimited plan, for under $100/month. I highly doubt it will ever happen, but go ahead Telus, prove me wrong.
xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

To clarify....

• Is that $50 USD?  If so, that would be $67 CAD.  I see one carrier state it's $35 USD.... However, you need to activate 4 smartphones to get USD$35 per device or CAD$187 for 4 devices.  For a single device it's USD$70 or almost $100 CAD.
  • unlimited data is at 3G.... there is a monthly limit on 4G.  I see one carrier it's 22gb and another is 26gb.

Yes, it still is better than what major Canadian mobile providers offers today for $100/month.

Timmyc333
Just Moved In

Everything you said there just proved my point further. Why can't Telus do those things? If Sasktel can do it I sure hope you can. That last remark tells me a lot though. You don't really care about your customers, you just have to be a tiny bit ahead of the competition. Typical Telus move. 

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

The big difference is population or user density.  The number of customers per tower and equipment is much higher in the USA.  This makes it harder to operate sustainably than the USA.

You can see this issue in other industries like airlines and retail.  You may have noticed other mobile carriers have tried to match the major mobile carriers in price.... Only to run into financial problems a few years later and fold.

American operators have looked at expansion into Canada or purchasing some carriers in financial trouble.... Only to decline.

Timmyc333
Just Moved In

Sasktel has unlimited data. Your argument is invalid. 

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I was describing Mobilicity.

Sasktel is over $100 and throttles after 15gb.

Timmyc333
Just Moved In

That's double what Telus offers. I hope you at least see my point. They're making an effort. My bill if I used 15 gigs of data would be $455CAD, just to put things into perspective 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My bill if I used 15 gigs of data would be $455CAD

But, your bill including Canada-wide calling could be:

$135  with 10 GB of data.

$200  with 20 GB of data.

$300  with 40 GB of data.

Assuming you need those volumes of data.

SaskTel is a government monopoly. With the exception of a few dozen Rogers cell sites, SaskTel owns all the other cellular sites in Saskatchewan and charges rent to the other carriers. Most of Saskatchewan boasts 4G coverage, not the LTE enjoyed on most of the Telus network. The lack of duplication offered by it being a public utility, rather than a private business in a competitive environment where parallel infrastructure is constructed, is likely one of the reasons service is cheaper there.

If Canadians were to pressure the CRTC to convert all the existing cellular networks to a single public utility, we might see similar prices as in Saskatchewan. Thus far, however, the direction of the CRTC seems to be that competition in the marketplace will bring lower prices than a public utility would.

Timmyc333
Just Moved In

I've had my plan for so long that the Telus representative told me not to change it because it would cost so much more now. I'm not here to argue with anyone, but if Sasktel can do it, so can you. I highly doubt Telus is is any financial crisis. Again it just comes back to capital>customer satisfaction. This is a page for ideas, and my idea is to give your loyal customers better, more affordable data packages. 

Timmyc333
Just Moved In

Just found out I can switch to Sasktel. 10 gigs and unlimited calling (local and long distance) for $75 Canadian. Thanks for nothing Telus 🙂

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I am sure your family and friends will appreciate calling you long distance. Unless you live in Saskatchewan how do you plan on purchasing it without proper identification and address? 

Jim13135
Just Moved In

I have to agree, the costs for data are pretty steep. It's a wonderful technology but what good is it if you have to take out a second mortgage to meet the bills? If other providers can do it, I'd think Telus could also. That Sasktel deal ^^ looks pretty good compared to what we have been paying.

Dedlaw
Just Moved In
Please offer more data to existing customers for loyalty ...or even just to catch up with consumers. 1gig of data doesn't go as far as it used to. The average consumer uses 2-5 gigs per month, but sure as heck cannot afford that much data from telus.
Status changed to: New Idea
RhoLee
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: New Idea
RhoLee
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sueness
Just Moved In

Recently I've had several friends purchase a SmartHub and data plans through Telus Mobility. The cheapest plan is 50GB for $60. That is $1.20 a GB. My Telus Mobility cellular phone data plan is 1GB for $25! Both devices use the Telus LTE network--the only difference is the device. A SmartHub can be used anywhere so it can also be defined as being "mobile". We are being completely ripped off with cellular data charges!