Pick and Pay and Theme Packs

DaleW
Just Moved In

First I think your new Theme Packs are terrible.  I think you should let us make our own theme packs.  Any 5 or six channels will be a theme pack. Or just straight pick and pay.  When will this happen?

Category:
Comments
Community Power User
Community Power User

Straight pick and pay may come next year, based on some CRTC trial balloons out there. If so, expect some channels to become quite expensive, and some specialty channels to disappear due to small subscriber numbers.  Remember the current requirements for theme packs was intended to promote a number of (new) channels which may not have been financially sustainable otherwise.

DaleW
Just Moved In

Well, it has been 6 months, anything happening soon for this?  Just allow us to pick any 6 channels to make up a theme pack.  I can understand that you may need to have "premium" channels so you either have less in a theme pack or the theme pack costs more but either way we would have full control over what we subscribe to.

Community Power User
Community Power User
CRTC has stated December 2016 as the date this requirement is to be met. I'd expect to see offerings shortly before that time.
DaleW
Just Moved In

It is almost November.  Where is the offerings for pick and pay?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Once December hits or close to i am sure more information will be released. No companies are saying much on how the packs or pick and pay will be presented.

Community Power User
Community Power User

A couple of links for your reading pleasure:

CRTC

Media interpretation.

DaleW
Just Moved In

Hey Telus, still waiting for information!!!!!!!!!!  It is 3 days till it has to launch.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @DaleW.

All the information you're looking for will be available at launch. Until then, re-sharing the link that @NFtoBC posted for some great background info.

DaleW
Just Moved In
I already knew that stuff. Why can't a company be ahead of the required
launch?
Community Power User
Community Power User

Less then 24 hours you will see how everything will shape up. Like most things that launch or become available on a specific date it's the norm for most companies.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DaleW in addition to @WestCoasterBC comment, an early posting of plans would allow Telus' competitors to modify their offerings, possibly to competitive advantage.

DaleW
Just Moved In

It is Dec 1 and I still see nothing.  This day and age I would expect websites to be updated by midnight.  Also, wasn't the mandate from the CRTC to have ALL channels offered as pick and pay, not just specialty ones?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

@DaleW

TELUS wants to provide choice and flexibility and, of course, be in line with the CRTC mandate of making channels available individually and in small packages. Due to content provider restrictions, certain channels (for example: HBO and Sportsnet) will remain bundled but today 220 channels are now available individually including the 140 offered previously.

The new a la carte offerings are not on the front page of telus.com but if you're currently an Optik TV subscriber you can head to www.telus.com/managemychannels or visit www.telus.com/channels where you can see pricing and create your own package.

jaim2
Connector

Hi,

I don't believe the content provider restrictions (ie sportsnet) is an acceptable excuse for not offering pick and pay.  The CRTC mandated all channels to be offered as pick and pay.  I only want sportsnet pacific.  I'm not happy that I need to buy several other channels to get sportsnet pacific at a cost of $14.   Perhaps the content provider restrictions should be re-negotiated by telus.    Also shaw is offering all sportsnet for $8 on top of their basic package which also includes all the american channels.   for $14 (same as what telus is offering for just sportsnet), shaw is offering all 5 tsn channels and all sportsnet channels.   

DaleW
Just Moved In

I completely agree with you jaim2

jaxon60
Connector

@Scoto, to be in compliance with the CRTC regs, ALL discretionary channels need to be available on an individual basis.

Looking at the links you provided, it seems that you have not made any of the Time Shift channels available individually except NTV.  All of the Time shift channels are discretionary.  Why can these not be selected on an individual basis?

Further, why has Telus not offered discounts on bundles of individual channels?  Videotron, among others offer this.  Eastlink lets you switch-out channels from the standard packages.  These seem to be in the spirit of the CRTC regs.  But Telus is not following suit.  Is there a reason for this?  

DaleW
Just Moved In
Yes, a minimum $4 per channel is ludicrous without a chance to group for a
discount. You are going to drive customers away in droves!!!
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

I'm not able to speak to what other providers are charging but we believe our pricing is fair and competitive. While I'm certain we are in compliance with the mandate, I will have to get some more information about individual channels from the Time Choice theme pack.

@jaxon60 I will post an answer to that on this thread early next week.

jaxon60
Connector

@Scoto, I did a quick review and noted the following discretionary channels not available as pick n pay:  

- All channels in the time shift package except NTV

- All channels in the Superstation package.

Let me rephrase my earlier question so you do not need to comment on other providers:

Why is Telus not offering build your own bundles with prices per channel at a lower rate than picking one at a time?  Why is Telus not offering the opportunity to switch out channels in your pre-packaged bundles to allows to pay for just the channels we want (as your advertising suggests we can)?

There is no need for you to comment on other providers, only Telus. 

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

We created a pricing and bundling structure to align with the CRTC mandate of providing individual channels and small bundles. I'm sorry that it does not meet your expectations and I'm bringing your feedback forward.