Phone Unlock Fee

xray
Guardian

TELUS currently charges $35 for unlocking phones. Unlock codes are available from 3rd parties for much less than that. I just unlocked my Dad's prepaid phone for $1.85 with a code from eBay. I understand there are customer support costs that aren't there for most 3rd party unlock services but TELUS should be able to do better than $35.

Idea:

1. The $35 unlock fee can be added to the device balance for subsidized phones on contract and waived upon renewal of contract. This implies that renewing a contract gives you a free unlock on your previous phone which is a good incentive to renew.
  2. The $35 unlock fee is offset by an account credit for prepaid phones if there is a minimum balance on the account.
  3. Continue to charge the $35 unlock fee for other cases.
Comments
ShadiS
Advisor

Hi @xray ,

Thank you for sharing this idea. I think the suggestion of unlock fee as part of device balance is an interesting one. We are looking into your suggestions and once we have any updates we will let you know.

Thanks and take care,

Shadi

ShadiS
Advisor

Status changed to: Under Review
river
Coach

had my fone stolden while awayout of the country and had to get my old 6 year old 3gs unlocked

the were proud to charge me $ 35 for 1 month ussage and i had to buy a new ifone at 700 bucks

and they charged me 15 bucks to change the account  its non stop hidden fees

@xray wrote:

TELUS currently charges $35 for unlocking phones. Unlock codes are available from 3rd parties for much less than that. I just unlocked my Dad's prepaid phone for $1.85 with a code from eBay. I understand there are customer support costs that aren't there for most 3rd party unlock services but TELUS should be able to do better than $35.

Idea:

1. The $35 unlock fee can be added to the device balance for subsidized phones on contract and waived upon renewal of contract. This implies that renewing a contract gives you a free unlock on your previous phone which is a good incentive to renew.
  2. The $35 unlock fee is offset by an account credit for prepaid phones if there is a minimum balance on the account.
  3. Continue to charge the $35 unlock fee for other cases.

ambert
Connector

Status changed to: Completed
ambert
Connector

Hi @xray 

Thanks again for your feedback in regards to our unlocking program.

Great news! We’ve taken this to our Product Marketing team and will be incorporating your idea into one of our pilot programs. We look forward to seeing how this will benefit our customers!

Thanks again and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Have a great day!

Amber

xray
Guardian

That is awesome news!  This will be another industry first for TELUS. I'm certain that this change will result in happier customers and lower customer churn. It's a win-win for both parties!

ObiOne
Just Moved In

The unlock service should be available online.

labour cost to do this via phone calls make no economic sense.

as long as the device is not stolen or reported lost anyone should be able to pay the fee to unlock the device.

enter ime number pay online 

done