Ontario Rural Internet HELP

Kevin_Wells
Just Moved In

PLEASE HELP US!!  Many of us in Ontario are being held hostage by rural "high speed" internet companies like Xplornet!!  We are paying crazy high prices for VERY poor service (I rarely get more than 2 Mbps download!)  Many of us would love to switch to a Mobile Hub like the one offered by Telus but our plans in Ontario make this option too expensive.   PLEASE can you expand the mobile hub plans that you offer in the prairies to Ontario - I have been told that in Alberta Telus clients can add an unlimited package for an extra $15 per month!!  If this program was available in Ontario I am SURE you would pick up many "rural" customers.  I am part of a facebook group called Explornet enough is enough and all of us are looking for a decent replacement for the very poor, expensive service we currently have!!  I have always be happy with my Telus mobile phone and the service I have been provided by Telus!

Category:
Comments
Dancindan84
Just Moved In

I can confirm that if I could get a reasonably priced plan for a data hub in Ontario that I'd switch from Xplornet, and probably switch my phones too.

Community Power User
Community Power User

A couple of points of clarification:

• Many rural residents in BC and Alberta are similarly stymied.
  • The 'hub' is only available to clients who are able to connect to certain cellular towers - there has to be enough bandwidth on the data radios at the tower, and a Fibre Optic backbone to carry the load. Since Telus does not own any great amount of infrastructure in Ontario, this poses a major hurdle.
  • Telus offers a $15 add on to their VDSL (wired) Internet plans allowing unlimited internet data. Unlimited data is not available on their Fibre Optic plans (1 TB max), nor the Hub (250 GB max, and only where the hub is available )
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Kevin_Wells

The $15 unlimited data add-on you're referring to is only available for wired home internet and the mobile internet plans in AB and ON are virtually identical. We're always reviewing our rate plans to make sure they're competitive and priced fairly for the service. Thanks for the feedback and please drop by a store or www.telus.com/chat to look at some mobile internet options.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Status changed to: Closed