Long Distance - Dial 1 prefix

edstounded
Just Moved In

I am writing with regards to a suggestion for improvement to your telephone services.

I make frequent phone calls to local and long-distance numbers for business through my medical clinic, as well as through our hospital telephone line. Is often not possible to know ahead of time which phone numbers are long-distance, or local. If the phone number is dialed incorrectly, with or without a “1” preceding the area code, then one would be transferred to an automated recording stating that I need to add a “1” to the number, or not. Then I would have to hang up, and redial the entire number again.

You can imagine how often this scenario plays out on a day-to-day basis for all of your customers.

While I appreciate the notification, and I understand that long-distance charges may have implications for some of the other customers, I am wondering if you would be able to implement a feature where one would not be required to redial the entire number. Perhaps you can add a feature where if you pressed one, the call would be put through anyways after listening to the long distance recorded message.

Category:
0 Likes
Comments
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @edstounded Just going back through some of the older ideas - You're right in that it's an important feature for those that may not be aware that they're dialing a long distance number. If you dial 1 before the local number, do you receive a message that requires you to hang up and dial again?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Requires Clarification
Community Power User
Community Power User

"If you dial 1 before the local number, do you receive a message that requires you to hang up and dial again?"

Message says: "Number cannot be completed as dialled."

edstounded
Just Moved In

Hi Scoto, thanks for reviewing this.

When adding a 1 prefix to a local number, a recording tells me that it is a local number and I don't have to dial the 1 prefix. So I have to hang up and dial the 10 digits again.

When missing the 1 prefix to a long distance number, a recording tells me that it is a long distance number, so I have to hang up and dial 1 prefix  then the 10 digits.

So I think a feature request would be to just allow the customer to press "5" or some other number to allow the call through either way so that one does not need to hang up and dial again.

Thank you.