LTE Internet Access For Ontario's Blackout Zone

Just Moved In
I live in rural Ontario and after 3 months of searching, the only internet option I've found is Xplorenet. I have spoken to MANY people on this service and it isn't worth the money. This issue extends to many, many areas northeast of Toronto, as well as the far North.

Recently I became aware that Telus offers unlimited LTE data in many areas through a smarthub, but not in the northern areas. I have spoken to so many people who would be so quick to invest in these programs as there is no other reliable option at all. There are entire towns who would be interested, as long as they were aware of its availability.
Comments
Community Power User
Community Power User

You're in Bell's territory. They would have to build out the infrastructure in those areas. Telus doesn't have any cell towers in Ontario outside of the GTA.

Just Moved In

I understand that. All I'm saying is that they're missing out in a huge way. Bell doesn't offer the same kind of smarthubs, so as much as expanding is expensive, you're looking at an uncornered market. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

You're forgetting the hundreds of millions of dollars (or more) in costs to set it up since they have no infrastructure outside of the GTA. It wouldn't make any financial sense for Telus to spend that kind of money in the far north where they'd never make back even a fraction their investments.

If Bell has infrastructure where you live, they do offer Wireless Home Internet service with similar plans, if the towers in your area have the bandwidth capacity to support it.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@RuralBlackout Similar to this idea, we appreciate your support for our services in your area. It is part of our ongoing business routine to evaluate options and possibilities of expanding our services, and this will fall into that purview. As it is an ongoing business practice, we won't be tracking this idea, please keep an eye on our mobility forum page for the latest news! 

Status changed to: Closed