Enable USB Port for External Hard Drive

jonathanhowes
Just Moved In

My suggestion is that the USB port is enabled on the TELUS Optik PVR to allow increase in recording space

Almost every PVR / DVR system has the capability to expand recording capacity by using an external USB or SATA drive 

Failing that the option to buy / rent a 2TB (or bigger) version of the PVR would be appreciated 

Thanks

Category:
Comments
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

Great idea @jonathanhowes 

There are ways to setup NAS drives currently, but it would make everyones lives easier if TELUS enabled the USB functionality.

vinyyc
Just Moved In

would also be nice to have a way to backup the recordings stored on the PVR in the event the device fails

ambert
Connector

Status changed to: Under Review
ambert
Connector

Dear @jonathanhowes 

Thanks so much for this Idea. We hear you and we are going to look into this suggestion because we know storing more content is an important topic for our customers. Stay tuned and I'll be back in touch with more information soon.

Amber 

14716495554_914e92d33f_z.jpg

ambert
Connector

Status changed to: In progress
ambert
Connector

Thanks Johnathan,  

We liked your idea so much our Optik team is hard at work to make additional PVR storage solutions available in 2015.   Stay tuned! - Amber

Jastech
Just Moved In

I am a long term Bell TV customer and wish to switch to Optik TV but have not because of not being able to add an external hard drive. Is this possibly now? Thanks.

Mizz
Neighbour

any update on this? i have a 2TB external that is sitting around that i would love to use as extra space if i could

spooncast
Just Moved In

any update on this suggestion?

Thank you

spooncast
Just Moved In

lets keep up with Shaw, they already have this option available to their customers

Jastech
Just Moved In

Any updates on this, I am interested in switching to Optik and this is very important. Other service providers equipment have long had this ability.

ANovember
Connector

Any updates on this? It's been 'in progress' since 2014. 

Punky
Just Moved In

I just swtiched to optik from another provider..i had this ability with that provider and want to see optik provude it as well.   Its been  ... in progress...for several years so cmon telus...lets see it actually hapoen 

jrculter
Just Moved In

Is it now possible to connect an external hard drive?  I see posts from 2014 but nothing recent.

NBody
Connector

HI, Just a note to say good luck with this. Chances of a response seem slim according to my experience. Have been waiting over three months for a reply as to why they still advertise this function as already being available on the Pik TV box and use this as a selling point, when in fact it is not functional and there appears to be nobody at Telus who can respond with a way to make this work and why they are advertising that it does when they have been informed that it does not. This matter was "escalated" to the supposedly "guaranteed within 24hr response" level months ago to no avail. If this is any indicator you should not be surprised if there is a claim that this functionality will be or is made available even though no info will be provided on how to use it and you will be guided back to the never-ending "customer service" maze to frustrate you into giving up and going away. Again,  GOOD LUCK 

mbp
Coach

Nbody: you’ve commented on a Pik TV discussion and now an Optik one. Households can’t have both so which is it? They are quite different and so is the hardware. Should be easy to tell them apart.