DAZN app for Optik

PoCoGuy
Just Moved In
As DAZN continues to buy content away from Telus’ providers, it would be great to add DAZN app.

The Netflix app is great as it keeps me in the Optik interface, but now I need to leave the Optik environment to access DAZN. And it’s bad for business the more I leave. Smiley Happy

I saw a Community Manager passed this idea from a diffferent user up the line, and clearly nothing has happened yet. Hopefully it will soon.
Category:
Comments
Community Power User
Community Power User

DAZN has to make their platform available not TELUS. Till they get their own house in order, 

don’t expect DAZN to have an app available on provider equipment.

Dazn was absolutely horrible when I used it quality wise and always had network issues.

PoCoGuy
Just Moved In

When were you a user?  I know it had issues when it first came out (Sunday Ticket debut), but no one I know has any issues now.  

I’d hope Telus can convince them to make their platform available because as they grow the need for Optik will diminish, at least for me.  

Community Power User
Community Power User

DAZN has previous said they refuse to make their platform available on ANY set top box world wide. The only exception was on Android tv boxes. DAZN had nothing but horrid reviews especially for their video quality. DAZN announced in August that NFL is returning to TV outside of their service because of the past problems.

PoCoGuy
Just Moved In

My friends and I have zero problem with DAZN.  We’re recent subscribers so I can’t speak to the earlier troubles they had. 

Also they have their own channel on Roku.  “launch of their own channel on Roku set-top boxes”.  Perhaps they’ve changed philosophy as it’s available on the Roku set-top box.  

Source: My own Roku and  https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/dazn-live-sports-streaming-service-launches-on-roku-in-canada/

Community Power User
Community Power User

According to their website, there are a number of devices on which you can watch DAZN. I've no idea the quality.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 8.12.21 PM.png

Community Power User
Community Power User

None of those are service provider (Telus, Shaw, Bell, Rogers, etc) TV set top boxes. Roku is one device I've never heard anyone call a set top box before. Even Roku doesn't refer to them as set top boxes.

I do find it funny that DAZN says that it needs 9mbps to stream what it calls HD content, which it considers 720p. Considering Netflix, YouTube and other services can stream 1080p with much less than 9mbps, makes you wonder just how inefficient the codec DAZN is using really is. Also users should be cautious about just how much information DAZN discloses to third parties with and without directly informing the end user. Users must actually read the TOS, find the section and realize they can only opt out by contacting DAZN directly (can't opt out through settings etc). Even then they still don't disclose the extent their analytics collects user data on various platforms. That's likely why they didn't want to release it to TV provider set top boxes where they couldn't collect as much user information.

br17
Just Moved In

Anything further on being able to access DAZN app via Optik TV ?

Community Power User
Community Power User

DAZN would have to develop an app for Optik TV which i can't see them doing for the cost. The platforms they support now is all they're going to support.

btreharne1
Just Moved In

Optik should apply pressure to DAZN to allow them to access livestream similar to Netflix

Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus doesn’t need to apply pressure. DAZN won’t develop and app like Netflix on the platform. To be honest not many would use it. As it’s available on multiple platforms android, iOS etc.