Ability to forward SMS messages to another number OR text-to-email service

SamuelS
Just Moved In

There are many of us in the Telus service area who either live or work in areas without cell coverage. If Telus provided SMS forwarding, I could have incoming texts sent to my Telus number forwarded on to any one of a number of WiFi-based texting services. Third-party solutions all require having the phone be turned on an in a cell service area.

An alternative would be the option to forward all texts to an email address.

Category:
0 Likes
Comments
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you mean a service such as Wi-Fi calling? This service allows calls and Texts to be sent to your phone when connected to a Canadian WI-Fi location.

rc
Ambassador

TELUS did offer a service that forwarded your mobile calls  and sms messages to wifi, it was called extend. This service was cancelled.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @SamuelS.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the idea? It does sound like Wi-Fi calling would work if you have an iOS device or LG G6 (more Android devices to come).

SMS to email is an option but the sender must send it a specific way: 10digitnumber@msg.telus.com

If that doesn't work for you, sticking with something like iMessage, Allo, WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger is probably your best bet. Nonetheless, I'm passing the suggestion on and please feel free to let me know if you want to add or clarify anything.

Thanks Smiley Happy

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Status changed to: Closed