cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need static IP?

Randy
Helpful Neighbour

I have had vandalism to my business after hours. I called a company to install security cameras. An agent at TELUS and the security company both told me I would have to get static IP. Why? What is the difference? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chuck81
Organizer

It is recommended to have static ips for DVR and/or remote security cameras. Think of static ip addresses as phone numbers. If you have a static Ip, not only the ip address doesn't change every 2 hours, but you also have the benefits of having inbound ports open (required for remote sessions ie security cameras)

Regular dynamic ip address changes ip every so often it would be hard to keep track of your current assigned ip address, especially if you're trying to access it remotely. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Chuck81
Organizer

It is recommended to have static ips for DVR and/or remote security cameras. Think of static ip addresses as phone numbers. If you have a static Ip, not only the ip address doesn't change every 2 hours, but you also have the benefits of having inbound ports open (required for remote sessions ie security cameras)

Regular dynamic ip address changes ip every so often it would be hard to keep track of your current assigned ip address, especially if you're trying to access it remotely.