cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Balance

FutureFriendly
Helpful Neighbour

Hello Neighborhood

I was just wondering what this device balance on my bill means. I have a couple different lines and some are showing the same amount and others are not, can I just get some clarification on what this is exactly and do I have to pay it? Smiley Embarassed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AskBedo
Organizer

Hello FutureFriendly!

The device balance lines that you see on your invoice is not something that you actually directly pay for! TELUS discounts the cost of your device when you sign a contract. That discounted amount is what we call your device balance. That monthly credit that you see on your invoice is equal to your starting Device Balance that is divided by the number of months in your contract (ie, 24 or 36).

So for example if you purchased a Motorola Milestone at $199 on a 3 year term, that means that TELUS discounted $400 off the $599 non-contract price. That gives us a Device Balance of $400 and divided by 36 months that comes down to $11.11/ month.

What does this mean for you?

If you decide to upgrade your phone and you have 9 months remaining on your contract then we multiply that $11.11 by 9 months which gives us the Device Balance at $100. So if you were to buy let's say an iPhone 5 at $199, then we would add the remaining device balance of $100 to that and the iPhone 5 upgrade would cost you $299 and allow you to upgrade even with 9 months left into your contract.

If you need more clarification, you can give this site a click:

https://businessmobility.telus.com/en/QC/Small-Business/anytime-upgrades.shtml?skipRedirect

Cheers!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

AskBedo
Organizer

Hello FutureFriendly!

The device balance lines that you see on your invoice is not something that you actually directly pay for! TELUS discounts the cost of your device when you sign a contract. That discounted amount is what we call your device balance. That monthly credit that you see on your invoice is equal to your starting Device Balance that is divided by the number of months in your contract (ie, 24 or 36).

So for example if you purchased a Motorola Milestone at $199 on a 3 year term, that means that TELUS discounted $400 off the $599 non-contract price. That gives us a Device Balance of $400 and divided by 36 months that comes down to $11.11/ month.

What does this mean for you?

If you decide to upgrade your phone and you have 9 months remaining on your contract then we multiply that $11.11 by 9 months which gives us the Device Balance at $100. So if you were to buy let's say an iPhone 5 at $199, then we would add the remaining device balance of $100 to that and the iPhone 5 upgrade would cost you $299 and allow you to upgrade even with 9 months left into your contract.

If you need more clarification, you can give this site a click:

https://businessmobility.telus.com/en/QC/Small-Business/anytime-upgrades.shtml?skipRedirect

Cheers!