cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port 443

Randy
Helpful Neighbour

Since changing payment providers, I have not been able to take people’s money. This is impacting my business. I am being told that the issue is with TELUS blocking us from using port 443. A friend of mine recommended upgrading to a static IP so that my ports are not blocked. I don’t want to spend more money, especially when it has worked for so many years. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nick_TELUS
Organizer

Hello Randy,

Port 443 is not blocked for what you're trying to do. If you want to test it out, trying logging into just about any webmail (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc), all of these use port 443. You do not need a static plan to work your debit machine. I would suggest to contact your payment provider and tell them that the port is not blocked so they can investigate the issue further. 

Regards,

Nick

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Nick_TELUS
Organizer

Hello Randy,

Port 443 is not blocked for what you're trying to do. If you want to test it out, trying logging into just about any webmail (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc), all of these use port 443. You do not need a static plan to work your debit machine. I would suggest to contact your payment provider and tell them that the port is not blocked so they can investigate the issue further. 

Regards,

Nick

Is port 443 blocked when hosting a service or website?  If so, is there a documented list of blocked ports?

Surely that's not for business customers, is it?

Also, this seems SO ludicrous in this day and age.  Blocking port 1433 because there is an exploit in unpatched versions of SQL Server?  This could literally apply to ANY port, as any program or service may potentially be listening on an arbitrary port, and that program or service may have an exploitable vulnerability. 

I'm willing to (begrudgingly) accept that this is a policy for residential customers, but business accounts should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Business accounts are wide open. That is strictly TELUS Residential services. No ports blocked on TELUS Business internet. Sorry, assumed you meant that, as no ports being blocked in Business.

Phewph!

(it's still a stupid policy for residential accounts though)

With your concerns, I would suggest checking with our Business support:

There are a few ways to contact Business Sales and Support:

To have a call back: http://business.telus.com/business/contact

Numbers to call in on:  611, *611 or 1-800-361-3311

Hours available: 8am – 6pm MST Monday - Friday MST

http://www.business.telus.com/business/ab/support

CalgaryNetwork
Organizer

Telus needs to open port 80 and other standard parts. even on residential. The year2k exploit was 15 years and and Windows 2000 based OS vulnerabilities have since been a thing of the past.

Espically many people to do have many devices in their home that all use port 80 with built in webserver, http webcam, thermostat (ns3000) etc etc. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This forum is for Business related posts. The audience you are looking for will not be here.

Most of the old vulnerabilities were with XP systems, as the majority of home users did not have 2000. Some of the old vulnerabilities actually resurfaced with Windows 8 though I suspect some have been patched.

As for current things, just because time has passed, doesn't mean there isn't malware that will still utilize the ports Telus has blocked, especially the kind that runs a server without the users knowledge. Home users are currently not permitted to run servers either. If Telus changes that policy, there's a chance some of those ports may be usable in the future.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

CalgaryNetwork
Organizer

NightHawk - I agree about the XP and 2000 comments not all of them have disappeared

However looking at other providers in Calgary, Shaw, WestNet, teksavvy all leave these ports open

Microsoft released Windows Home Server
Every router has remote access feature , via webserver,  people want to utilize port 80 , not non standard ports,  Even when one does sign up to a webhosting service to atleast sendmail with their own server, TELUS blocks that connection to (outgoing)  - whats the point of that when people just setup port 587 which Im sure TELUS will block that too.

According to the OP - I agree - This really sounds more of way for TELUS bring in more money buy requiring  residential and business users to keep getting addons, upgrade to business package, etc.

Telus even gave m a static IP on my home account in 1999 before  each house had dozens of devices with built in webservers.

FASTER_PLEASE
Friendly Neighbour

I wouldn't even mind the need to go to business-class DSL if TELUS actually invested in their business infrastructure.  In my area, residential services are 4x the speed of business, and 1/4 the cost.

CalgaryNetwork
Organizer

an owner of a company told me the biggest cost of operating a business in Calgary is TELUS managed business internet - its costs more than what they spend on fuel, leasing, advertising and even what he pays an employee each month...