cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus not working abroad

Jetje
Helpful Neighbour

We have Telus email and we use it (pop) on our cell phone and our laptop with outlook. Everytime we go abroad, and are on hotel wifi, we cannot send emails anymore. We HAVE to login to telus Webmail (which is hell, excuse my language). I tried using different ports, on both, but nothing worked. Our only option was Webmail. In the end we decided to use our gmail for some correspondence just to avoid the hassle of webmail. We had it tested in a coffee shop here in Calgary and it worked. But not outside Canada, and it is not the first time. What are we doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you using a VPN while abroad? Maybe try that. Some hotels I've been in overseas block certain ports that could interfere with the email.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Jetje
Helpful Neighbour

We have VPN but didn't use it. These were small hotels with one a few rooms, and a personal owner there. Too bad I can't try it again with VPN. 

xray
Hero

It's common for ISP's and businesses to block SMTP ports for public WiFi. It's to stop spammers from mass emailing from their networks. There isn't anything TELUS can do about it since it's being blocked at the client (your) side of the network.

Jetje
Helpful Neighbour

So that means that we are bound by using webmail from Telus, anytime we are on wifi? It did work on public wifi in coffee shops etc? (could be that they use telus as well). That webmail is horrible.

DanR
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Jetje, if you're trying to send email via SMTP from a non-TELUS internet connection, you will need to enable SMTP authentication in order for it to work. Here are some instructions on how to ensure that your phone's settings are correct for this situation.

https://www.telus.com/en/on/support/article/set-up-email-iphone-ipad#travelling_internationally

Jetje
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks Dan, I just looked in my server settings and that "require authentication to send emails' is actually on. On both my (telus)email addresses. We fiddled around, also with the security type, quite a lot. It may or may not have worked but I am back now, and can't try it anymore. So eventually it looks like I did something wrong. But I am not savvy enough, and I think it is time to move away from telus emails anyways for a less complicated life :-). But still glad I asked it here, now knowing it is my problem.