cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart hub with z-wave or smartthings hub

Simmer29
Just Moved In
I have just purchased a telus smart hub for my new acreage (as the options are very limited there) and I am looking at setting up some home automation/security devices based on the z-wave or smartthings platforms. I am just wondering if the smart hub is capable of supplying the wired connection that these types of devices require? Please be gentle with me, I feel like I'm turning into my parents when they used to have to get me to explain "this new internet thing" to them.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suggest you purchase a router to manage your Smarthome devices, and connect it to the Telus device so internet access is available as needed. This allows your home network to operate as expected, with a router you can easily manage.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suggest you purchase a router to manage your Smarthome devices, and connect it to the Telus device so internet access is available as needed. This allows your home network to operate as expected, with a router you can easily manage.

NFtoBC

Would a router allow additional devices (above the max. 20) to connect to the smart hub's network as well?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. The new router could manage your entire network, except for traffic to the internet, which would go to the hub.

NFtoBC