cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register device page severely broken Setting custom Reverse DNS hostname broken and SSL broken

Upcraft
Ambassador

If you have a business account with Static IP you would have to go to the site https://registerdevice.telus.com to add your router MAC address to get a new static IP or to manage the existing IP addresses.  You can also customize the reverse DNS response given by the Telus DNS servers to map the IP address to a hostname.

It seems this system is fallen into disrepair over the years.

The server no longer supports modern SSL standards and most modern browsers either refuse to connect at all (Chrome) or require exceptions and dire warnings of doom to be accepted before a connection is made (Firefox)

ChromeSSLError.png 

If you have static IP service this is the only place to go in order to utilize more of your available static IP's or to change the DNS hostname returned by the reverse IP servers.  eg:PTR 1.1.206.205.in-addr.arpa. for the IP 205.206.1.1

If you try to modify an existing hostname it will fail to update the DNS server and it will erase the current entry but the web interface will still show the old hostname and new domain name.

If you try to add a new MAC address with a custom hostname it will add the new hostname successfully but not replace the generic default hostname resulting in an inconsistent result for most purposes

If you try to revert the changes back to the default by checking off "Use default values for Host Name and Domain" it will kick you out of the site without making changes forcing you to login again.

Screen_Shot_2016-09-10_at_11_07_16_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2016-09-10_at_11_12_33_PM.png

Firefox complains that the SSL encryption uses outdated standards and you must create an exception to login or the very latest versions may not even allow the exception at all.  On chrome the encryption type is no longer allowed and login is impossible.  Internet explorer may or may not work depending on your advanced settings if you still accept TLS 1.0 and 128bit MD5.  Site server should be upgraded to modern SSL standards.
Firefox shows Broken Encryption (TLS_RSA_WITH_RC4_128_MD5, 128 bit keys, TLS 1.0)

The current SSL certificate on the site expires October 8, I wonder if anyone will even remember to renew it.  Maybe they forgot where they put the server.  In a closet somewhere in the Vancouver datacentre behind some old boxes I would guess.  Perhaps they lost the admin password and can no longer login to fix problems after the old developer retired in 2006?

Date stamp on source HTML looks like nothing here has changed in 10 years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DanR
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, I wanted to let you know that I've received word that the SSL issue on the registration page has been resolved. The additional issues with reverse DNS remain on the radar, and will be resolved as soon as possible. Thank you!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

DanR
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Upcraft, thanks for your post! I'll look into this and get back to you as soon as possible. While it's indeed true that this registration page has not been modified heavily over the years, it is nonetheless intended to be reliable and secure. I'll post back with an update as soon as I have one. Thank you!

Thank you for checking.  The SSL deficiency should be trivial to fix but the other problems are very important as well.  

Accurate reverse DNS has become an important metric for anyone hosting their own mail server.  Many recipients will penalize your inbound mail spam scoring if the server sending it does not have a valid and correct reverse DNS entry.  

Send me a PM with your contact info if you have any questions or need more detailed examples.

Page is still broken.

SSL encryption method is still using a broken old standard that modern browsers will no longer accept.

Current SSL certificate Expiry is only 3 days away on ‎October ‎8, ‎2016 5:59:59 PM

Is Telus planning to do anything about these issues?

DanR
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Upcraft,

Thanks for the follow-up. The items that you've brought forth have been identified as issues to be resolved in future platform releases. Although I don't have concrete timelines on when these issues will be permanently repaired, they are on our radar and will be addressed as quickly as possible. I've notified the necessary parties about the SSL certificate as well so that it can be addressed as well. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
On the business hosting shared servers. The PHP needs to be updated it's severely out of date as well.

@WestCoasterBC wrote:
On the business hosting shared servers. The PHP needs to be updated it's severely out of date as well.

Seems like that's another issue.  

But there are about 2 or 3 different shared hosting platforms they have used over the years.  Which one exactly?  

The more premium of the bunch: https://hosting.telushosting.com  

There was one call VDH, I don't know if it still exists.  Used to be at https://secure.hosting.telus.net  If it exists they probably changed the management URL.

There is the consumer shared hosting http://www3.telus.net/username  Pretty sure there is no PHP here.

I used to use the telushosting.com one with a client.  Their pages were all static html.  They have since moved their email to hosted exchange and the website that looked like it was designed in the 90s has been updated many times and moved around to different hosting platforms the designer of the day wanted to use.  

The telushosting.com page also appears to be severely neglected.  Most of the links are broken.  It's like a bunch of old guys all retired and these web systems were left to rot in place.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
https://hosting.telushosting.com has outdated php. I manage a website on it for a friend. It was hacked last year because of the php vulnerability. Joomla running on it is painfully slow on the backend.

Would be nice if they would get into better hosting. But I doubt a server farm is something they'd want to get into.

Hi Westcoaster, thank you for your comment. I've contacted the Business Shared Hosting team with regard to your concern, and will keep you informed as I hear back from them. Thanks!

Bravo.  Certificate expired.

Register device SSL error

So it's true.  You really did misplace that server.

DanR
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I've passed the information directly to our tech team to have the issue addressed.

Sounds like a job for a new guy.

Spoiler
A snipe hunt or fool's errand is a type of practical joke that involves experienced people making fun of credulous newcomers by giving them an impossible or imaginary task.

DanR
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, I wanted to let you know that I've received word that the SSL issue on the registration page has been resolved. The additional issues with reverse DNS remain on the radar, and will be resolved as soon as possible. Thank you!

Badum ching

After 1 year, 4 months, and 17 days the status is:

The DNS issues are not fixed.  The registerdevice page is still nearly completely broken.

The only thing done was to renew the SSL certificate.  Every other issue remains.

What a joke. I'm planning on upgrading to 250 business if/when it's available in Vancouver.

While they are at it Telus should change their infrastructure so static IP's are actually "static" and not just a glorified DHCP reservation. IPv6 too.

Sigh.