cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provisioning customer owned IPV4 network address on Telus fiber business account

PaulNewman
Just Moved In

Can Telus do this? I am using a different provider who allows me to use my own IPV4 network address allocated back in the days when there wasn't a shortage. I am interested in using Telus fiber now but want to continue to use my own (and owned) network address.

A tech support person says no, only Telus-owned static addresses can be used. Two other Telus reps say yes, it can be done but I have to order the service and tell the installer to configure my network address at that time.

Does anyone have experience with this? I want to continue using my network address and will not consider using Telus unless I can be assured that they can do it.

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I would assume that if the IP address in question is not part of a netblock that Telus owns, they won't be able to use that IP address. That is unless there is some uncommon option for business accounts that isn't publicly disclosed.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks for your comment.

Note that I am asking about  network address not host address as I want Telus to rourte my entire 8 bit host address space. and yes Telus doesn't own it. I do. However it seems that Telus must be able to support businesses that have their own IP address space as many do.

What do you make of the comment from some reps that the installer can configure my network address at that time?

thanks.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I honestly couldn't tell you. You will need to speak with a business rep for sure. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Upcraft
Ambassador
Only possible on managed service not available on optik best effort consumer grade business service. Not even if you pay the $12 static ip add on.

Managed service is a custom solutions with service level agreements and allows for BGP routing to announce your owned ipv4 netblock. Pricing is negotiated along with contract terms. When delivered on gpon fibre there are some restrictions on the service level agreement and maximum speeds. I think its 99.7% sla and 1gig port speed. If your site has or willing to pay for install of duplex dedicated fibre you can get 99.995% sla and up to 40gigabit port. Then you can get more custom options with fail over circuits and add on services and it's all negotiable.