cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plugging another IP device to the ONT

Platypus7
Just Moved In

Hi I work for a radio station and I was wondering if I could plug a device that needs a dedicated IP address into another port on the ONT. Are those ports useable? This device currently plugs into a network switch and right into the ONT which I feel is not ideal. Is it possible to remove the switch by plugging the device into another port or do they need to be changed somehow? This device has its own public IP address outside of the internal network and needs it to function the best.

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

No. The use of the switch as you describe is thr only means to obtain a second IP address. The other ports on the ONT will not work.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

But when I looked at the product sheet for that ONT this was in it:
Can be managed from a remote site via access management system (AMS)

Built-in Layer 2 switch

Ethernet

• 10/100/1000 Base-T interface with RJ-45 connectors

• Ethernet port auto-negotiation or manual configuration

• Virtual switch based on IEEE 802.1Q VLAN

• VLAN tagging/detagging per Ethernet port and marking/remarking (IEEE 802.1P)

Based on reading the datasheet for the ONT it can be done but I need to know who to call. I really don't want to talk to a foreign call centre. It would be great to be able to use the ports on the ONT for dedicated IP devices for business needs. 

Are you able to find the ONT config web GUI address and connect? I am wondering the same thing.

@biaoyu wrote:

Are you able to find the ONT config web GUI address and connect? I am wondering the same thing.

Telus activates a single port per account on their ONT.  It does not operate as a switch and it does not expose any configuration options to the end user.  The other ports are not enabled.  I often put in empty network plugs to the other jacks to prevent someone accidently using them.