cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after upgrading to Static IP

Randy
Helpful Neighbour

I upgraded to static IP, since I needed to set up a VPN to our head office. I set my router to static and entered all the variables. It worked for a little while and stopped. I verified that the IP did not change. I am continually unplugging and plugging my router back in to get back on line. What am I doing wrong? When it is working, it works great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chuck81
Organizer

TELUS static ip address is configured to be set as DHCP. This means that you shouldn't be required to hard code the assigned static ip TELUS provides you. In fact, it's recommended that you do not hard code your IP as the lease time for the IP on TELUS' DHCP servers expires after 2 hours. When this happens and that you have hard coded your ip, your internet service would stop unless you rebooted your modem.

So what's the solution? Configuring your router to DHCP instead of static. You will still receive the static ip address TELUS provided you though with this setup.

If you also do require a solution that requires you to configure hard coded static ip, TELUS does offer managed solutions:

http://telus.com/en_CA/QC/products/Medium_And_Large_Business/Internet_And_Data/Business_Internet/det...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Chuck81
Organizer

TELUS static ip address is configured to be set as DHCP. This means that you shouldn't be required to hard code the assigned static ip TELUS provides you. In fact, it's recommended that you do not hard code your IP as the lease time for the IP on TELUS' DHCP servers expires after 2 hours. When this happens and that you have hard coded your ip, your internet service would stop unless you rebooted your modem.

So what's the solution? Configuring your router to DHCP instead of static. You will still receive the static ip address TELUS provided you though with this setup.

If you also do require a solution that requires you to configure hard coded static ip, TELUS does offer managed solutions:

http://telus.com/en_CA/QC/products/Medium_And_Large_Business/Internet_And_Data/Business_Internet/det...