cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Availibility Issues

Speclam
Neighbour

Good Morning,

I am currently in the industrial sector in Calgary, Alberta and am having issues obtaining any internet connection through TELUS higher than the 10 mb. 

I currently share a building with 3 other companies, and noticed our next door neighbor had fiber through TELUS, but every time I call TELUS I end up in a call center somewhere overseas and never get and answer.    This will be my fourth attempt at getting any sort of answer.  I will go into detail below.

Last year we noticed our neighbor and a few TELUS technicians installing fiber optic cable connections to our neighbors business.  I approached the TELUS employees and asked then if they were installing high speed fiber; to which the tech said " Yes we are running high speed internet fiber next door."

I immediately called TELUS and got in touch with overseas employees who stated it was not available in my area.  I explained to her that this was impossible because I have a tech here from TELUS stating otherwise.  I was told they would put in a request to get me information, which never did happen.  I went through this process 3 more times and never got a response.  As of January 31 2017 I once again have TELUS here and they are adding an additional 2 strands of fiber cable to our next door neighbor.  I have taken pictures and made reference to the hardware that has been installed which is fiber product from TELUS. 

I would like to add more services to my TELUS account in the form of higher speed internet but I cannot get a response.

Here are some pictures Showing the Telus fiber

20170131_121005.jpg

20170131_121119.jpg

Thanks

Speclam 

14 REPLIES 14

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Interesting your neighbour has data to consume 3 Fibre lines!

@DanR may be able to poke someone to help you with your inquiry.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I will give him a poke and see if there is anything we can get done 🙂   Thanks for the quick reply.

Please see i have updated the information above.  I have included pictured of the TELUS box and the box number so it should be very very easy for TELUS to now find this.

Good Afternoon,

I called Telus twice; was told i would get a reply, and 3 days later have still not heard anything.  I am no closer to and answer about my services.  Please somebody help.  I am trying to expand my services wonder why i can't get a Telus employee to answer?

Speclam
Neighbour

I have been trying to get a response of any kind from Telus for 3 weeks.  I have placed 3 calls and have tried to place a ticket for help.  I have had 2 Telus Employees say they were going to get back to me within the hour and never have.

Is this how Telus treats their customers

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I assume you've been trying to contact Telus Business side and not residential. It's not normal procedure to not get a follow up. It may take some looking into that is delaying a response.  @A_Kron can you have someone look into this or forward to the appropriate contacts for @Speclam

DanR
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Speclam, I've sent you a PM requesting additional info. Please get back to me when you can and we will figure this out. Thanks!

Upcraft
Ambassador

Your inquiries were likely going to the availability of the "PureFibre" type of Internet which uses the GPON shared fibre technology and is heavily advertised.  It's the new fibre they are building for residential areas and brand new neighbourhoods instead of copper lines.  This is a shared technology where a single feeder fibre goes into splitters where the same signal is split to up to 32 different customers.  It uses a single fibre to send both send and receive signals.

What you took at picture of is dedicated managed fibre.  This uses 2 fibres as a pair, one dedicated to sending and another for receiving.  

You need to ask the business department for managed internet connections.

This is the product page:

http://business.telus.com/en/business/internet/managed-internet

Prices generally start around $850 per month for burstable 100Mbit port speed with a 10Mbps 95th percentile rate.  (You can hit 100Mbit but your average usage must remain below 10Mbps using a very hard to understand measurement standard or you get billed extra)

Pricing is totally negotiable and the prices will vary greatly with the amount of effort required to build the connection to your location and the options for competition in your neighborhood.  For example if you were in a building with multiple fibre owners servicing the building you can almost cut the entry price in half due to the competitive forces.  Eg. if you had a Telus fibre and an Allstream or Shaw owned fibre into your building.  

Ask about "Managed Internet"  Don't even have to mention that it's fibre to get the ball rolling in the right direction.  Once you are talking about the right product the technology used to deliver it will be the next thing you can discuss.

If you thought it was the cheap consumer grade GPON services like you see on the billboards then that's not what you are looking at.  You are looking at a premium product that costs much more but also comes with service level guarantees, dedicated speed options with no sharing, and those speeds can go up to 10Gigabit if you are willing to pay for it.

They may start offering some levels of managed internet service on the GPON network at some point.  But if you have the dedicated paired fibre you will always have the widest range of choices for managed services up to their maximum possible speeds though you will not have access to the low end "consumer grade" business plans that are in the $70-$200 price ranges that MOST small business are using.

One thing to consider outside the box.  Your neighbour is generally not restricted from reselling their managed service.  If you were to cooperate you might be able to help pay for their connection, maybe pay for the next speed tier and have someone setup a router that can do traffic shaping to 2 different ports so neither could hog the line.  Telus can give you as many IP addresses as you need so you each have your own public IPs, just need to submit a form outlining your needs to justify the IP assignments.  You can shoot the signal back to your building with point to point radio or if you are directly next door to each other you can run your own fibre between buildings.  

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Telus Fibre website lists a contact for businesses which is separate from the old business pages.

Contact: https://fibre.telus.com/edmonton/contact/ >> For business customers:1-800-361-3311

Business fibre: http://business.telus.com/en/campaigns/community-e >> Alternate contact 1-877-352-0898

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Chiming in here with the same issue.

Despite my client being within 1 block from the Telus space and science center here in Edmonton, they seemingly cant get a business fiber package over 25mbit despite being smack in the middle of a green available status on the map.

As you mentioned Nighthawk they suggest that Consumer fiber is available here but not business and will not return our calls for over a week now.

Would go with the residential 150 maybe? They have clients trying to vpn in from Calgary and are currently only on 6Mbit down 1Mbit up (telus dsl line resold by internet solutions with data cap)-.- The residential 150 cant be worse than this, i literally can not download a pfsense ISO without interrupting production for close to an hour. They do an offsite backup of just over 10Gb over this connection daily... 

The fact that they charge $90 a month for this 1Mbit upload package in 2017 (let alone still offer it) should bring tears to the eyes of most anyone reading this.

The average users LTE based cell phone is between 40-50x this upload speed and this garbage connection is putting the whole business at a standstill yet we will not get a reply from telus.

Only need one static IP but need RDP and VPN ports not blocked by telus (not sure if they block these on residential packages) Is only other alternative with 50Mbit or more upload for under $200 Shaw?

Wanted to offload our exchange server to telus email and web site hosting so we can stop dealing with the security issues and running the hardware locally but at this rate they literally won't let us give them a cent.

After recommending Telus I am at a loss for words really as to how their advertisements about availability appears to be an outright lie in this case. Makes me look like a moron even suggesting it, and will likely impact my contract with this company. That said I will not be able to recommend or ever suggest them to other business clients for fear of ruining both my credibility and my income.

@Foonus wrote:

Chiming in here with the same issue.

Despite my client being within 1 block from the Telus space and science center here in Edmonton, they seemingly cant get a business fiber package over 25mbit despite being smack in the middle of a green available status on the map.

Got two in the same place across street from TWOS, another one 4 blocks directly north near Costco, one 2 blocks west by the UHaul, all of them in 3 different adjacent "green" zones.  The Uhaul one is that new building across the street and they put in the fibre to the pole when building the building but no connectors yet.  It's all just coiled up on the pole and in their phone room even though the splitter on that pole is now installed right beside the cable coiled up.  

Out of these 4, only 1 just had the line roughed into the building a few weeks back but not yet activated 4 blocks north.  The wire is in from the pole to the phone room but there are no working connectors on the wires.  The other 3 do not have wires pulled yet but have been green and available since the Fall according to the map.

Pictures of the roughed in cables by the Costco for the curious.

20170209_122120.jpg20170209_121952.jpg

Not surprised... Edited this onto my post after you replied but I think it applies very well here for anyone that is offering technical services or consultation.

@Foonus wrote:

After recommending Telus I am at a loss for words really as to how their advertisements about availability appears to be an outright lie in this case. Makes me look like a moron even suggesting it, and will likely impact my contract with this company. That said I will not be able to recommend or ever suggest them to other business clients for fear of ruining both my credibility and my income.

It's just a marketing map.  

Never rely on something the marketing department puts out.  Until you have a terminated, labeled and ready to go connection it's just a future plan that can be cancelled or rescheduled at any time.

If you need guaranteed times and guaranteed service then you are looking at the wrong product.  The Telus ADSL and Fibre products that do not have the word Managed in front of them are all Consumer grade as far as service goes.  You get last priority for everything without a service level agreement.  

And the installation is not even done by Telus.  It's the lowest bid contractor.  Until that contractor has completed their work and handed over the network to Telus it's not even something that Telus owns and controls yet.  They communicate with each other via spreadsheets and request forms.  There is no line of communication if you want to call in to inquire on the status of the installation and build date.

But have you ever tried to talk to Shaw about getting cable into a building that doesn't have it yet?  The grass is no greener over there let me tell you.  All the "consumer grade" connections for business are a joke on the installation side of the house.  

Was actually thinking the bonded DSL route... the package that they USED to sell. 100/20 which to my experience at home is more around 130/35 and unlimited data transfer.  To my knowledge the IP has only changed when the modem goes down (firmware update) or when i changed MAC address. 

As far as availability in past year i have had 0 downtime and the speeds are above advertised. I guess my question would be do they lock down the port range so much that it would not be possible to use RDS or VPN.... i know already i will have to move exchange server off site.

DanR
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Foonus, are you still having trouble with getting Fibre to your customer's site? Please feel free to send me a PM with any inquiries that you have along with relevant details, and I'll see what I can dig up for you!