cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fairness & Diversity

FairnessDiversity
Just Moved In

Dear Story Hive / Telus,

With respect to your story telling & film program. I have noticed you offer specific categories and incentives for women and indigenous film makers. While I do support this effort and it may be considered diverse, what is glaringly missed from your program is a category for Handicapped / Disabled / Challenged filmmakers. To claim to be diverse and represent everyone, would require your program to recognized the most persecuted and least privileged group in the industry.

Most Handicapped / Disabled / Challenged people did not ask for their conditions. They are re-victimized by the mere prejudice of society towards them. I would request Story Hive & Telus to step up and offer a fair approach to these victims. To allow them to be treated fairly and have their voices heard. Allow them to have a category in which they do NOT have to compete against big names, well funded productions and fully capable film makers. Handicapped / Disabled / Challenged filmmakers simply can not compete when the odds are stacked against them.

I hope Story Hive / Telus is an organization which not only would recognized this small and extremely important group, but would make every effort to ensure they were provided fair opportunity. A category or program specifically tailored to their abilities.

Sincerely,

Cindy

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't work for Telus but I have a question. Do you know of any local disabled individuals that have produced or created some interesting documentaries or films? 

This post would be best suited to be in the Ideas section rather than Business Solutions.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

mbp
Advocate

@FairnessDiversity wrote:

would require your program to recognized the most persecuted and least privileged group in the industry.

Persecuted? Do you know the meaning of that word? Where exactly do you live, that there is such hate in the community?

per·se·cuteD
/ˈpərsəˌkyo͞ot/
- subject (someone) to hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of their race or
political or religious beliefs - harass or annoy (someone) persistently.

They are re-victimized by the mere prejudice of society towards them. I would request Story Hive & Telus to step up and offer a fair approach to these victims.

Victims? Seriously? None of the disabled people I know would ever consider themselves victims, especially in this situation. What hate filled cesspool do you live in?

... what is glaringly missed from your program is a category for Handicapped / Disabled / Challenged filmmakers.

Soooo you want to single them out because they're disabled? What was it you were saying about victimizing people? The disabled I deal with regularly want to just be considered equal to everyone else. 

The only single group on there that is separate from the rest is Indigenous. All submissions basically need to get votes to be moved ahead. There are numerous pitches from disabled creators if you even bothered to look. Just like any other submission there, if they get enough votes, then they could get the grants.