cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL light is not my friend

Randy
Helpful Neighbour

Since my office was renovated the DSL light on my modem regularly goes out. What can I do before calling TELUS? I don't know if this helps, but there seems to be a correlation between the loss of connection and the times I get or send a fax.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chuck81
Organizer

if your internet connection is interrupted when ever you send a fax, it means that your fax and internet connection shares the same line. That being said, when your fax is dialing out to send a message, it's handshake (screeching sound you hear) is causing a cross interference with the ADSL signal.

To remedy this, simply put an ADSL filter on your fax machine (and other phone equipment that uses the same line as your internet service):

This might have been removed and never put back after your renovation

These filters can be purchased at any computer/electronic store.

should the issue remain even after installing, a POTS spliter might be required to be installed in the premise. Contacting TELUS to get this installed should be your next step.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Chuck81
Organizer

if your internet connection is interrupted when ever you send a fax, it means that your fax and internet connection shares the same line. That being said, when your fax is dialing out to send a message, it's handshake (screeching sound you hear) is causing a cross interference with the ADSL signal.

To remedy this, simply put an ADSL filter on your fax machine (and other phone equipment that uses the same line as your internet service):

This might have been removed and never put back after your renovation

These filters can be purchased at any computer/electronic store.

should the issue remain even after installing, a POTS spliter might be required to be installed in the premise. Contacting TELUS to get this installed should be your next step.