cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business phone number and fax phone number over a single pair

ilykebykes
Just Moved In

Hi at our place of business we have a single pair phone line feeding our fax machine and our fax machine has an external connection to a cordless phone with a built in answering machine. Telus has provided us with two phone numbers that are attached to a single pair cable. How do we configure this connection so that the 7727 number picks up the phone and will go to voicemail and the 9358 number goes to the fax machine? The last four digits of these two numbers are 9358 for the fax and 7727 for the phone. Also how is it that an incoming fax will come in on the 9358 number but an outgoing fax displays the 7762 number? Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nick_TELUS
Organizer

Hi ilykebykes,

It sounds like you have a smartring service setup. The way it works is you have 2 numbers on the same pair, one number will ring normally and the other number will have a distinctive ring. You'll need to setup your fax machine to pickup the distintive ring to have it work properly. How the distinctive ring will work depends on your location and type of switch you are connected to. I'll post a table below.

As for the outgoing number showing 7762, that is normal behavior by default. You can program your fax machine to show the smarting number if you would prefer.

If you need some more help setting this up, please direct message your phone number to me so I can give you specific information. You can direct message me by clicking on my username, then there will be an option for private message. 

Smart Ring - Ring Style / Ring Cadence

Cadence

Timing

AB (Not Edmonton) - Double

Long Long (L-L)

• 1 second ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF
  • 1 second ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF

AB (Edmonton) - Triple

Short Long Short (S-L-S)

• 0.5 seconds ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF
  • 1 second ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF
  • 0.5 seconds ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF

BC - Double

Short Short (S-S)

• 0.5 seconds ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF
  • 0.5 seconds ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF

BC - (Optional)Triple

Short Short Long (S-S-L)

DMS100:

• 0.5 seconds ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF
  • 0.5 seconds ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF
  • 1 second ON
  • 3 seconds OFF

GTD5 & 5ESS:

• 0.4 seconds ON
  • 0.2 seconds OFF
  • 0.4 seconds ON
  • 0.2 seconds OFF
  • 0.8 seconds ON
  • 4 seconds OFF

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Nick_TELUS
Organizer

Hi ilykebykes,

It sounds like you have a smartring service setup. The way it works is you have 2 numbers on the same pair, one number will ring normally and the other number will have a distinctive ring. You'll need to setup your fax machine to pickup the distintive ring to have it work properly. How the distinctive ring will work depends on your location and type of switch you are connected to. I'll post a table below.

As for the outgoing number showing 7762, that is normal behavior by default. You can program your fax machine to show the smarting number if you would prefer.

If you need some more help setting this up, please direct message your phone number to me so I can give you specific information. You can direct message me by clicking on my username, then there will be an option for private message. 

Smart Ring - Ring Style / Ring Cadence

Cadence

Timing

AB (Not Edmonton) - Double

Long Long (L-L)

• 1 second ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF
  • 1 second ON
  • 0.5 seconds OFF

AB (Edmonton) - Triple

Short Long Short (S-L-S)

• 0.5 seconds ON