cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am i getting a pre-recorded message?

Shane
Leader

Greetings,

There are some numbers that when I call, I get a prerecorded message that plays before the call goes through:

"Please stay on the line while your call is completed. Long distance charges may apply."

Why do I get this message? It doesn't happen when I call from my cell phone.

Thanks,
Shane.

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are the numbers that you are calling using province wide area codes like 778, 236, 587, 825, etc.? Do you know if the numbers you are calling were originally considered local vs. long distance? Does your cell plan include long distance?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Shane
Leader

Both numbers are the 778 area code.

• One number is local cell phone number.
  • The other is a Voice Over IP by Ringover.com.

I live in Victoria, and I have free nation-wide calling.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Calling from a cell with nation-wide free calling, you likely won't get those recordings or at least not often. On a land line you will get them more often. The problem with the province wide area codes is you never know where the number was originally set up. If they're associated with a cell phone, they can move around. It'll really depend on which rate centre the NXX (ie 778-###) they're using is associated with. VoIP providers can run into the same issue. The rate centre they are using may not be local.

See example NXX list. The OCN (provider) can change as individual numbers can be ported to different providers.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Shane
Leader

I have a client that was using a cell phone for their business number. They wanted to move to a number that looked more professional. I set up a voip number at Ringover, but now some callers are getting the above message before the call goes through.

Shane.