Mobility

Trusted answers and information and Mobility devices, services, and solutions from Neighbourhood contributors and the TELUS team.

Software Update Schedule

by Community Manager June - edited Wednesday by Community Manager

DEVICE

TARGET LAUNCH

DETAILS

Samsung GS5

May 2

Android M Update + Security Update

Sony Z3

May 4

Lumia 830

May 5

Windows 10 Update

Samsung GS5 Neo

May 16

Knox Update

Samsung Tab S2

May 16

Samsung Note 4

May 23

Nexus 6P

June 6

Security Update

Nexus 6

June 6

Security Update

Nexus 5X

June 6

Security Update

Nexus 5

June 6

Security Update

Blackberry PRIV

June 6

Security Update + Bug Fixes

Alcatel Idol 3 (5.5")

June 7

All dates are approximate and subject to change. See the Software Update Life-Cycle blog post for more information.

For more discussion on upcoming software updates, check out our Mobility Devices forum.

Comments
Connector
by mhinc
February
by mhinc
February

Why are comments being deleted from here?  Deleting concerns is no way to run a forum!

Rockstar
by Dark_Knight
February
by Dark_Knight
February

@mhinc they didn't. They moved them to a new thread. Chill. haha 

Connector
by mhinc
February
by mhinc
February

@Dark_Knight  Thanks!  Would have been nice if a link was posted from the mods stating this in the first place.

Community Manager Community Manager
by Community Manager
March
by Community Manager
March

Any comments on specific devices or updates have been categorized and moved to discussion pages in our Mobility Devices forum. Make sure to check it out to join the conversation. 

Resident
by silentace7
March - last edited March
by silentace7
March - last edited March

Very professionally done. You should really remove this page and put 'updates to come to Android phones one day, we're not really sure when.' I think I will be switching phones to the nexus devices to actually get updates faster than this half a snail's pace. The Telus experience is not one I'm impressed with. Makes me consider switching providers. 

by Community Manager
March
by Community Manager
March

Hi Folks,

We know many of you are waiting anxiously for the Android M update on the Note 5 & S6/Edge devices. The update was delayed because of a bug Samsung discovered during testing.

We will post a revised timeline once the OEM submits a new build. 

Resident
by nakedgeezer
March
by nakedgeezer
March

A Kron, I appreciate the update but the disappointment is palpable. 

You've got to understand that going from March 9 to March 25 by way of 3 or 4 extensions to what is now "Delayed" is just not sitting right with us.  From all that is read and you guys published before, Samsung would ready the update after which Telus would review and test it with another Samsung update and Telus review.  Why would Samsung still be finding bugs if its this close to release?  What about the numerous carriers who have already pushed out the update? We're not hearing about massive failures around the globe, so why would this only be for the Canadian variant?  Why not fix it ASAP post update with a much smaller bug fix or security update push?  Yes, I get that software is notoriously difficult to deliver perfectly and on schedule, but this here seems like too much is done too late.

The problem is that we're completely losing faith in any of these posted dates.  Again, I appreciate it that Telus wanted us to have a date that we could count on, as opposed to other carriers not even publishing it, but by now I'm I feel like I've worked through Elizabeth Kubler-Ross' 5 stages of grief enough times.  And it's when you hit that 5th one, and accept that Telus and Samsung are not serious about keeping this schedule, that we consider joining Wind Mobile using our antiquated iPhone 4's.  That horror, is at least one of our own making.

Connector
by drewhosick
March
by drewhosick
March
Sounds to me from his response that they are going to push again cause
Samsung is fixing the bug.
Connector
by Kenv
March - last edited a month ago
by Kenv
March - last edited a month ago

Yeah well i'm still waiting for my S6 update. That hasn't been released yet

Rockstar
by Dark_Knight
March
by Dark_Knight
March

@nakedgeezer @Kenv other providers who have released the update are experiencing issues. You should be thanking telus and samsung canada for preventing unnecessary frustration caused by faulty software updates. 

See links for reference points.

http://en.yibada.com/articles/109563/20160315/t-mobile-rolling-out-android-marshmallow-samsung-galax...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/03/09/samsung-galaxy-marshmallow-problems/

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/139908/20160310/samsung-galaxy-note-5-android-marshmallow-issues-w...

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1411155#1411155

Connector
by mamemame187
March
by mamemame187
March

Moto E supposed to be out today, not seeing the update.

Friendly Neighbour
by RKinMTL
March
by RKinMTL
March

I agree with @Dark_Knight that getting the updates sooner with bugs would not be better than getting the update later without bugs...

But this experience with my Telus SG6 has taught me that I should reconsider my choice of phone (and my carrier) in the future if I want to prioritize getting Android updates as quickly as possible.

I think my frustration most fittingly lies with Samsung (not Telus) in this case, and if they haven't gotten their act together regarding Android updates yet, I don't expect them to do so any more effectively in the future. Too bad the reason is probably their insistence on "branding" the experience (Touchwiz), which I'd gladly do without if it meant being able to get the Android updates sooner. Just remember that Samsung is imposing this upon themselves (and we users are paying the price)...  

Neighbour
by xantius
March
by xantius
March

My LG G3 is upgrading to Marshmallow as I'm typing this.  This is awesome! 

Thank you LG!  Thank you Telus!

Just Moved In
by Lusitano
March
by Lusitano
March

Marshmallow On Moto E2 today! ...was so badly waiting for this. Thanks Telus and Motorola!

Connector
by mhinc
March
by mhinc
March

Oh look The GS 6 Has bumped up the date to April 18th .  Surprise Surprise

Connector
by unpronounceable
March
by unpronounceable
March

Wow. Galaxy S6 delayed yet again.

Unbelievable. 

by Community Manager
April
by Community Manager
April
by Community Manager
April

Thanks for flagging, @Grinder911. We've flagged the issue with our Product Development team for investigation. Stay tuned!

Neighbour
by Emrecan127
April
by Emrecan127
April

NOTHING ON MY DEVICE YET. Smiley Sad WAITING THE MARSHMALLOW

Rockstar
by Dark_Knight
April
by Dark_Knight
April

@nakedgeezer that is not a bug, that is a UX decision made my samsung canada. It is the same across all carriers here. I would suggest reaching out to them to petition them for a change. 

Just Moved In
by JMO
April
by JMO
April

Im struggling to find anywhere or anyone that can tell me the date for the Galaxy S5? Telus techs on Twitter wont even answer me.

Neighbour
by Newfiechick19
a month ago - last edited a month ago
by Newfiechick19

Are you freaking kidding me Telus! The S6 Edge update was scheduled for today and now all the sudden its the 18th. Wtf Telus! This is unacceptable. Give us the update and stop making us wait. Pick a freaking day and stick to it. 

Just Moved In
by gk
a month ago
by gk
a month ago

Seriously??? this is like child's play. I am waiting to upgrade my S6 Edge and now I see date is moved. Telus... YOU SUCK...

Just Moved In
by officialtom
a month ago
by officialtom
a month ago

S6 Edge pushed again - the day of the update!! Come on. 

Just Moved In
by dbeatty
a month ago
by dbeatty
a month ago

Every one that is complaining about the GS6 and edge being pushed, they did that two weeks ago. Also, this is a ploy by telus to try and get everyone to buy the newest phones available. There's no reason the LG G3 should have gotten an update so far ahead of the S6 and S6 edge that were top of the line not on year ago.

Just Moved In
by missalyciamarie
by missalyciamarie

@dbeatty

They didn't change it 2 weeks ago for the edge! I checked last night right before I went to bed and it still showed that the update would be TODAY.

Neighbour
by Newfiechick19
a month ago
by Newfiechick19
a month ago

I contacted Telus and they couldn't tell me why it was changed again. The customer service rep that I talked to was a jerk. He actually told me that if I wanted the newest update then I should go buy a Nexus. I understand that in the end it comes down to Samsung. I just wanted an explanation. He wouldn't even address my LTE issue. 

Connector
by SuperD
a month ago
by SuperD
a month ago

Update for the S6 Edge is downloading now.

Neighbour
by Newfiechick19
a month ago
by Newfiechick19
a month ago

Mine just finished updating about 20 minutes ago. 

Just Moved In
by 03eunos
a month ago
by 03eunos
a month ago

I just started downloading for S6 Edge and the 1253 MB update is at 50% after seven minutes. Another four minutes to wait is not too bad after waiting for so many months...  :-)

Just Moved In
by gk
a month ago
by gk
a month ago

Upgraded my S6 edge. Process was slow but smooth. Fixed my Auto bright issue. Hope I get better battery life on this.. fingers crossed... if it doesn't.. finger will be raised Smiley Wink

Just Moved In
by peteve
a month ago
by peteve
a month ago

I have a 1st gen Moto G but didn't receive any update these days.

Also, no any update for LG G4?

Just Moved In
by Kalel1981
a month ago
by Kalel1981
a month ago

I am so pumped that the GS6 update is tomorrow. Does anyone know what time the updates usually roll out? Midnight or a specific time? Smiley Very Happy

Connector
by Claystation3
a month ago
by Claystation3
a month ago

@Kalel1981 When I received my M8 update I got it about mid morning, I understand they are staggered too, so it could be any time within the next day or so.

Connector
by darderb
a month ago
by darderb
a month ago

Installed update for GS6 this morning. So far so good. Download took about 15 minutes and probably another 10-15 for installation and app updates.

Neighbour
by fidds
a month ago
by fidds
a month ago

Anyone get an update today for the gs7 edge? It says today but nothing yet. Really want my edge screen update  to fix the issues. Thx

Just Moved In
by nismonick
a month ago
by nismonick
a month ago

Thanks for the update schedule.  I was wondering if someone from Telus could comment on the availability of the Windows 10 upgrade for the Lumia 830 and add to the schedule?  While we are a relatively small community on the Windows Phones, these updates go a long way towards supporting our user base. 

I know some users are using the Windows Phone Insider program as a workaround, but this solution requires you to give up all privacy on the device (as everything is shared with Microsoft) and is not appropriate for business users. 

by Community Manager
a month ago
by Community Manager
a month ago

@nismonick Added! Smiley Happy

Just Moved In
by Lotatelus
4 weeks ago
by Lotatelus
4 weeks ago

Got my marshmallow update today galaxy s5 strange little icons but overall seems to speed up my phone 

Just Moved In
by Ti-Pete
3 weeks ago
by Ti-Pete
3 weeks ago

Any news on GS5 Active?  I thought it was the same as GS5 but no update yet. I hope this doesn't take too long.

Just Moved In
by nismonick
3 weeks ago
by nismonick
3 weeks ago

@dru Thanks for adding the 830, I can see the update is available on the phone.  Much appreciated, keep up the great work!

Just Moved In
by Ganden
2 weeks ago
by Ganden
2 weeks ago

Just created account. Have no idea if i'm in the right place. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and I see that it is scheduled for May 16th but I have had it on all night and just happened to check to the update and it said that it already downloaded it and installed it. But I didn't see it do anything and it still says 5.1.1

Any ideas?

Connector
by sanayp
2 weeks ago
by sanayp
2 weeks ago

Do you have the Android M schedule for the month of June yet?

by Community Manager
Friday
by Community Manager
Friday

@sanayp As release dates become available to us, we'll update our schedule accordingly Smiley Happy

Connector
by sanayp
Saturday
by sanayp
Saturday

There seems to be an error above as the Alcatel Idol 3 (5.5") seems to be listed twice with different dates.

by Community Manager
Saturday
by Community Manager
Saturday

@sanayp Edited. Thanks! 

Advisor
by Shane
Saturday
by Shane
Saturday

My BlackBerry Z10 is currently running OS 10.3.2.2474. When can we expect 10.3.2.2876?

Thanks,

Shane.

Just Moved In
by Niladmirari213
Monday
by Niladmirari213
Monday

It's mentioned that the note 4 will receive the update on 23rd of mai ,well i didn't receive anything yet :-(

Resident
by Newmarket
Monday
by Newmarket
Monday

Nila... I am done waiting..

They are not accurate with dates. My wife got it on her Nexus 7 six months ago which is like way older than Note 4

Connector
by sanayp
Tuesday
by sanayp
Tuesday

@Newmarket  It takes a few days to each all devices and regions of Canada.